Business Tips Making Calls to Prospects.
Making that call in Ireland
Part of successful prospecting is not just identifying the right prospect but it also requires effective cold calling. In simple terms cold calling is making contact with strangers . In the first two minutes of the call with the prospect the prospect forms crucial decisions which will influence the rest of the sale . Identifying why previous buyers purchased from the company can be an advantage as once the buying motives have been reviewed these can also be used when targeting new prospects. Sales people’s communicative skills are imperative in terms of supporting the customers value creation . Sales calls are one of the most valuable and expensive resources available to industrial sales managers . There are many sales people that look to avoid cold calling like the plague and when prospecting is mentioned at sales meetings in general there are moans and groans from many of the sales people . One of the main reasons that they hate cold calling is from a fear of rejection . Practitioners estimate that up to forty percent of sales people suffer from intense levels of sales call anxiety (SCA).
The fear of rejection stops the sales person trying to make appointments or even talking with prospects whose reaction is unknown and in the initial stage of prospecting it can even stop the sales person from making the introductory call as they feel it is a waste of time. It is even more challenging for the novice making the call and it can be a nerve wrecking experience for them. As a result of some of these people being socially anxious they tend to be conservative, protective and interpersonal which can lead to unsuccessful cold calling to the prospects. Call reluctance is a manifestation of a sales persons negative beliefs about prospecting for new business, in order to overcome this sales person needs to change their beliefs. On the other hand the sales person who wins is the one who believes that there will always be a prospect somewhere looking for their products/services.
As mentioned earlier sales is all about numbers and opening up new accounts is going to require the sales person to make numerous cold calls before they get that first appointment. In some cases they may need to make 10 calls to get 1 appointment. That is a 10% closure appointment ratio. The remaining 90% of rejection is not going to make the sales person feel happy about themselves and it can result in lower morale in the sales department. However eighty five percent of the available new business goes to the eight percent of sales people who know the secret of successful cold calling. That is a good enough incentive for sales people to educate and train themselves on how to be an effective cold caller.
Sales people should be trained that no is only no today and it can take a certain number of no’s to get a yes. Noes are like rocks in the middle of a stream, they are stepping stones that allows one to get to the yeses eventually. In some companies they put the no’s into a Lazarus List – dead for now but may be revived later . In a survey carried in 2011 only 9% of respondents said that they focus on reactivating former leads. The survey also highlighted that B2B respondents targeted 51% of their marketing budget towards finding new prospects and 37% on customer retention. The sales manager should measure the closing ratio for each sales person on a quarterly basis and discuss ways of improving it in terms of getting more qualified customers.